Easy DIY Blooming House Numbers

Dear Reader,

From the time we moved in, my house had these house numbers on it.  Pretty boring, huh. I thought about painting them, but honestly, I just didn't like them.

I searched stores for something different, that fit both my personality and the house itself. But I couldn't find anything I liked. I scoured Pinterest looking for fun ideas that I could do to add a little color and life to the front of my house. There were a few that I liked, but nothing that really seemed to fit me.  So I kept pondering.
Then one day, I was in the grocery store and saw these plastic chip n'dip trays.  Although there was an assortment of colors, I thought the purple and pink  looked the most like flowers when you turned them over.  They were only $1 apiece, I bought 6.
I brought them home and scrubbed the stickers off.  A little Lemon Essential Oil helped to get all the sticky residue off. I had found a bunch of old spoons in my father-in-laws shop when we cleaned it out, and I planned on supplementing those with more from yard sales or thrift store shopping.  But I was in a big box store, and saw some 4 packs of silverware for $2.  I bought several packs of spoons, forks, and knives. Then I went to the craft store and bought some big numbers, and some good glue that would stick to plastic.  One more stop at my local home improvement store for some paint and PVC pipe and I was ready for a project.

First, I sprayed the centers yellow.

Now they look more like flowers!

Then I painted the numbers, first with white, then with glow in the dark paint.
I had my fabulous husband cut the PVC into 3 equal pieces. Then I painted it green. Finally, it was time to put it all together.  I glued  the silverware around the flower shapes, then the backs to the fronts, to make them look 3-dimensional. I attached the  numbers to the fronts,  then attached the whole thing to the PVC pipe.  To keep with the silverware theme, I glued butter knives as leaves to the "stem". Then 'planted' my new flowers in a nice sunny spot.
Don't they look lovely!
 photo signature.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly